Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Birds!

Like I said in a previous post, a lot of our time in California was spent sitting on the beach reading. One paticular day we were on the beach in Santa Monica...it was a quiet day and very few people were out. Jared and I had set up our chairs and were enjoying the sounds of the ocean and a good book when a homeless looking man strolls up dragging a HUGE garbage sack behind him. He put his belongings down and started to set up shop...at this point I was a little bothered...why...why does this man have to set up his stuff less than five feet from me when there is an entire empty beach to choose from? I decided to get over it until he opened his garbage sack...all of a sudden the sky turned black as the birds were descending onto my little bit of heaven! I'm pretty sure all of the birds in Southern California know this man, because they all came flying. The ENTIRE garbage sack was full of bread to feed the birds...are you kidding me. Most of you know I can't even handle a few birds...my little heart couldn't take the 'bird stress' that had so suddenly come upon it and I ducked for cover and ran about 1/2 mile down the beach. Poor Jared, had to gather up our stuff and come find me...Stinkin' birds...

3 comments:

Katie said...

Only to you Cheryl.... hahahaha that cracks me up so much!

Shannon said...

I have a great mental picture in my head of this moment. Thanks.

The Bensons said...

My brother feels the same about birds. When I was little we went to CA. I burried my brother in the sand and when he fell asleep I put a bunch of crackers all over him. (yes, I was aware of what would happen which is why I did it) For the next half hour I watched the seagulls come in and land around and ON him. When he woke up he had a seagull looking straight at him that had landed on his chest. He jumped up and all the 2987 birds took flight. I will never forget that moment. I laughed my guts out but knew I was dead once he came back from his full on sprint.