Sunday, August 17, 2008

What happens when you punch a catfish?

This question had never crossed my mind until this weekend. Why in the world would anyone ever punch a catfish? Although I still don't know why anyone would punch a catfish, I do know what happens when said catfish is punched.

Exhibit A



I guess I lied a bit in my previous post, we did have a few problems before Saturday afternoon. My cousins were fishing and caught a pretty big catfish. After posing for pictures and showing everyone who would look, they released it back into the lake. This is were things get interesting. Jared was swimming when they released the fish into the lake. At that moment he had a brilliant idea, he decided to see if he could swim down and punch the fish (Like it wasn't already traumatized enough.) I have to give it to him, most people couldn't even come close to catching a fish in the water, but my man has talent. He caught up to the fish and then proceeded to punch it. Jared immediately realized that was a very bad idea. Catfish have spines on their dorsal fins and those spines contain venom. Jared came into contact with both the spine and the venom. His hand was totally numb for 30 minutes and has been swollen and painful ever since. Now when someone asks you what would happen if they punched a catfish, you have an answer.

6 comments:

Katie said...

He is so smart! HEHE That's seriously so funny! Jared... such the man. :)

Trevor and Jamie said...

Wow! I can't believe a fish can do that!

Lance said...

It could be worse - he could have been in the middle of fall camp and lost the starting position. Good thing all he has left to lose is his pride - and he's got plenty of that to go around.

Monica said...

I was going to say exactly what Katie said haha I love that he just decided to punch a fish. Who does that?

Tracey and Gayle said...

I can't say that I have ever wondered what would happen if you punched a catfish, but now I will keep this in mind.

Justin and Stacey said...

Wow...I don't know whether to tell him congrats or what? :) But I am glad he found out the mystery of the catfish for everyone else's future reference! That hand looks pretty bad!